* EEO changes kick in, as new reporting scheme kicks off * Rudd and Turnbull spar on trading * Less than 4% of energy R&D directed to energy efficiency * Coles, Woolworths and IGA to trial voluntary plastic bag scheme * Environment groups launch ‘low carbon’ website, Greenpeace releases Hunter Valley report * SA EPA audit finds poor compliance in surface coatings sector
* Garnaut to hold town hall meetings * SA bag-banning bill goes before Parliament * Garrett tweaks impact assessment process for Great Barrier Reef * EPA Victoria issues greenhouse inventory * NSW seeks nominations to chair environmental education council
* SA to review environment law, falls far short on Whyalla dust, Budget reveals * Greens, Coalition react to Wong speech * NT climate strategy must suit us, says chief minister * Garrett launches ANU climate law centre * Productivity Commission says 'green car' scheme off-track
An agreement between the Federal and South Australian governments – already signed by Peter Garrett – could provide federal endorsement of the state's 'wholly inadequate' assessment laws and make a mockery of claims that the EPBC Act would raise the bar for environmental assessment in Australia, a leading environmental lawyer has warned.
* South Australia endorses first industry greenhouse agreement * Gorgon expansion to undergo EPBC Act scrutiny * Governments seek advice on merits of mandatory VOC limits * Wong announces forests grants * 'Leadership and funding' the main challenge facing CCS
* Australia to fund PNG forest carbon monitoring * Capital cities set to cooperate on national green CBDs scheme * Victorian climate adaptation advisory council holds inaugural meeting * EPA Victoria inks sustainability covenant with Carbon Disclosure Project * South Australia proposes landfill guidelines, Victoria issues landfill guide * 'Keep thinking outside the bauxite', Pew climate chief tells aluminium industry
* Travelling north: Wong, Garrett and Garnaut head to PNG * Federal government seeks advice on renewables target scheme revamp * Productivity Commission to investigate 'regulatory burden' on upstream oil and gas * G8 business groups set out climate policy expectations; IEA chief urges action; APP to meet again * EPA Victoria issues urban design water guide, SA EPA issues wastewater irrigation guide
Submissions from major energy industry players have criticised South Australia's proposed residential energy efficiency scheme for being too different from Victoria's planned scheme and have urged South Australia to put its plans on hold or simply 'piggy-back' on the Victorian program.